160 years ago slavery was abolished in the Kingdom of the Netherlands and all of its overseas territories.
As the current king of the Netherlands, H.E. Willem Alexander expressed official remorse at the 160th commemoration, I want to dedicate this commemoration to those descendants who never forgot.
- I commend the government of Suriname, for acknowledging the 1th of July as a national holiday
- I commend our religious leaders, of all denominations, who have always held prayer and ceremonial sessions
- I salute our cultural, historic and artistic leaders who relentlessly document and teach about the the legacy of our ancestors.
- I pay homage to my parents and family, as this commemoration day was sacred to them
- I applaud my Afro-Surinamese people. You refused to forget.....and in your persistence you forced others to acknowledge.
We are our ancestor's wildest dreams. Wan swit manspasi.